Friday 6 April 2012

Lucky


Such a beautiful day in Melbourne today.  Off to a late start as usual, but I thought we better get out and about, go to a park, a cafe, the usual.  Chalks left the girls and I, at a cafe on the corner of Acland St and Barkly St in St Kilda.  We were sitting outside. I'd had my coffee and we were waiting on food and more drinks.  I was looking out at the busy road next to us thinking how you couldn't get a less tranquil setting for a leisurely lunch.

I reached into my bag to get my phone to call my brother.  Suddenly I heard screaming.  I looked up to see a car drive right through the intersection, crash over the kerb, and run over the cafe tables just a metre from us.  It came to a sickening crunch against the cement wall.  A woman was squashed against it, with her hand stuck in the grill of the car.  She was obviously in severe shock and was screaming in pain and distress.  The driver of the car sat as if in a dream - motionless.  Someone had the sense to reach in and turn off her car.  It was then pushed off a young guy who was trapped underneath.  He was moaning in agony and didn't look in a good way at all.  His girlfriend was begging someone to call an ambulance.

It's so strange when you watch things like this unfold.  How can something happen so fast, yet in slow motion at the same time?  I had jumped up by this stage.  I was trembling.  Everybody around me was looking about wildly, saying "Oh my god, oh my god".  I must have said it myself maybe ten times.  The ladies at the table next to me were covered in water from their smashed glasses.  The police and ambulance were called, and arrived soon after. A crowd had gathered by this time.

Chalks was on his way back to us from the chemist, when a girl said "You don't want to go down there, a car just smashed into tables at the cafe on the corner.  He ran.  I don't think he's ever looked so relieved and happy to see us unharmed.  A man called out to the further growing crowd "If you don't have to be here, go away - stop staring".  Someone else called out "Dickhead".  That's Australia for you.

We split.  I'd lost my appetite anyway.  Not Valli, she was spewing she missed out on her sandwich.  I even paid for my coffee.  Well it was a good one, and I couldn't use my near maiming as an excuse to drink and run.  The street was now closed off by police, and we decided to take the girls to the park. By the time I paid and left, the staff were already sweeping up the glass.  People at the tables inside were still seated and appeared to be waiting for their meals.

When we drove by 45 minutes later, it was like nothing had ever happened.  I wondered what had become of the poor distressed older woman with the crushed hand, and the young injured Chinese guy.  I also wondered what had happened to the spaced-out, middle-aged driver.  I tried to look for information on the news but to no avail.  Maybe she was off her head.  Maybe she was just in shock.  The last I saw of her, she was slumped across the front passenger seat, as the police leaned in her window.

It was a close call.  As I looked at my children playing in the playground not long after, I was so grateful for them. You sometimes forget to be, don't you?  I don't want to think about what could have happened.  It makes me shaky.  Our table was close to the kerb, their little heads were at car bumper level, and I was partially distracted at the time the car crashed through.  I don't know if I would've been quick enough to push them out of the way.

I think about my recent complaining regarding spilt wine, delayed flights and Disneyland queues, and am humbly grateful I don't have anything serious to worry about.

Bless everyone who does.



No comments: