Sunday 2 September 2012

Farewell Sweet Bequia



So there comes a time when all good things must come to an end, and that end is today.  Ten weeks on an incredibly beautiful tropical island in the East Caribbean Sea - how can things get better than that.  The thing is, I don't know if they can.  Things will be different, and I have no doubt that things will be great for many more weeks to come.  But seriously, this is the ultimate.  It's like this place isn't real.  Sort of like an imaginary world of perfection.  Bequia's motto is literally "Bequia Sweet Sweet Sweet"!.  And sweet it is too.
Anyway, I can really understand why some people come for a holiday, and end up building a stone cottage on the point.  Maybe we will too one day. But back to reality we go, and a good reality it is too.


Things I'm going to miss about Bequia

1.  The incredible natural environment
2.  Living half outside for 10 weeks
3. The beaches



4. Reggae on every radio station.....or Rihanna
5. Non chemically treated fruit and veggies at the Rasta markets



6. Picking bananas out of our garden and mangos off trees on the side of the road
7. The sunsets



8. Always being warm
9. Having so much time
10. All of us being so happy and healthy



11. Punching people's fists and saying "respect"
12.  Living in somebody else's dream house
13.  Looking at a postcard-like view all day everyday
14.  Feeding our pet tortoises



15. Saying hello to every person I pass, and waving to every car while on my morning walk
16. Feeling so so relaxed
17.  Drying my washing in 20 minutes
18. Fireflies in the garden at night
19. Eating soursops and sugar apples
20. Living my childhood dream of having a pool






Things I won't miss so much

1. Sweating all the time every day and all night
2. Being scorched by the sun
3. Searching my dry goods for weevils before cooking
4. All my clothes, shoes and bags going badly moldy in the humidity
5.  Sitting on a piece of whale vertebrae when I go for a drink at a local bar



6. Saying hello to every person I pass and waving to every car while on my morning walk
7. Eating so many bloody bananas
8.  Not being with friends and family
9.  Applying mosquito repellent and calamine lotion to the girls during every waking moment
10.Not being able to get my grey roots attended too (someone called me Grandma the other day)

Obviously the list of good things outweighs the bad, so we must conclude that Bequia is in fact, shit hot good.  As you can tell from this blog I'm being grossly sentimental, but Bequia deserves a bit of sentimentality.   I'm really going to miss this place.......Bye Beckers - see you next year xxxxxx

Up, Up and Away




No comments: